International FAQ St George & Sutherland Community College

International FAQ


About Sydney, Australia

What is the climate like in Sydney?

Sydney is in the southern hemisphere and has a warm climate. Summer is from December – February and the average temperature is 26°C/78°F during this time. Winter is from June – September and temperatures average around 15°C/59°F.

What type of food is available?

Sydney is a cosmopolitan city and there is a variety of international cuisines. Typical cuisine includes steaks, sandwiches, fish and chips, hamburgers, Lebanese, Thai, Chinese, Indian etc. Sydney has many ethnic supermarkets where you should be able to purchase typical provisions from your country.

What food can I bring into Australia?

Australian customs have very strict laws with regards to bringing in fresh food, fruits and seeds into the country. Please check the Australian Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection website for more information.

Studying at SGSCC

What are the rules for attendance?

Under Student visa requirements, you will be required to attend at least 80% of your classes during the period of your enrolment. If your attendance falls below 90%, you will be issued with a warning letter to remind you of the importance placed on attendance requirements by the Australian government and by SGSCC International.

What if I am sick?

If you are sick for more than a day you should go and see a doctor, even if your illness does not require you to take prescription medicines. You should ask your doctor to give you a medical certificate for your absence. This may be used as evidence in case your attendance drops below 80%. If in doubt you can ask the teacher at the College or speak to the Academic Manager.

What can I do if I have a problem?

If you have a problem, you should talk to a friend or another student or any of the College staff – your teacher, or the International Manager. Appointments can be made to see a counsellor if required. We are all here to help you with whatever problem you may have, no matter how big or small – so just ask.

Living & Working

What do I need to do if I move house?

Under Australian government immigration regulations for student visa holders it is a requirement that you tell the College if you have changed any of your contact details such as address or telephone number within 14 days of the change.

Can I work while on a student visa?

Yes, you are allowed to work up to maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during the term and unlimited hours when your course is not in session. For further information, please refer to DIBP’s website