International Accommodation St George & Sutherland Community College

International Accommodation


SGSCC International can assist you in finding suitable accommodation whilst in Sydney. The different housing options whilst living in Sydney may include:


Homestay is a cultural exchange between a local individual or family (called a host) and a visiting student. The student lives for an agreed period of time as a guest in your home.

If you are living with a homestay family remember that they expect you to behave as part of their family not as a hotel guest. Australian families rarely have servants so you may have to do things that you are unused to doing at home for example making your bed, doing your own laundry, assisting in the kitchen.

For Further information go to

Rental Accommodation

You may wish to find accommodation in a house or flat. It is quite common for young people in Australia to live in shared accommodation with their friends. In Sydney the cost of shared accommodation varies and can easily be between $250 and $350 per week. You may be able to pay less if you share your apartment with a number of people.

If you are going to live in a shared flat or house you will also need to pay a returnable bond (deposit) which is usually equivalent to four week’s rent. The bond is used to replace or repair any damage you might be responsible for during the time you live in the accommodation. If there is no damage the full amount will be returned to you when you leave your accommodation. Sometimes there is also a deposit for the security key. You get this back when you return the key when you move out.

There are several ways to find somewhere to live. One way is to check the advertisements in the city and local newspapers.

If you have trouble understanding anything in the advertisements you may seek assistance from the International Support officer to help you. You will probably need to telephone to make an appointment to meet the other people who live in the house.

Another way to look for a flat is to search the following websites for shared accommodation:

You can also ask your friends or make contact with students in other colleges to see if anyone has a room they want to rent out.

There may be notices on the student notice board in the college for shared accommodation. The college is not responsible for any accommodation advertised on a college notice board or through websites listed.

Please refer to your copy of the SGSCC International Pre Enrolment Guide for more information on accommodation options.